As uncertainty escalates, as new crises succeed each other, more and more of us rely on the power of our practice to hold us steady. There’s a powerful gift that an intense global crisis can give us: if we can remain steady, these intense times offer a powerful evolutionary opportunity to evolve our own consciousness.
What this means is that having a powerful and sustainable practice is more important than ever. For this, the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali is an indispensable guide. For centuries, the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali have been the essential practice manual for meditators. Sometimes described as the ultimate “how-to” for mind-transforming practice, the Yoga Sutras covers the spiritual journey from beginning to end—from the basics of yogic ethics and mind-transformation to the surprising ways yogic contemplation can be used in daily situations, to the subtle states that arise as the mind awakens to its true powers.
That’s why I’ve chosen this text as the basis for our next series of telecourses. As we explore this text we’ll see why certain core processes fuel meditation. We’ll encounter the hard-core truths about karma and its role in our journey. We’ll come to know the powers that we earn through concentration and the reasons we can’t ever let go of inquiry into our own ethical discipline. I’ve been studying this text for years, and every time I return to it, I experience more insight and inspiration. As you unfold the richness of these teachings, you realize how much power your mind actually has—and how to use its powers to liberate you on every level.
The Yoga Sutra-s is a living document. Even if you’ve read and studied it before, a new immersion in its wisdom will surprise and inspire you. No matter what state you bring to it, its wisdom will expand your consciousness.
The secret of reading the Yoga Sutra-s is to find those insights that are genuinely universal and apply them to your practice. It’s in the application that the insights of the text work their magic. Are there aspects of practice that confuse you? The Yoga Sutra-s can help you sort those out. Do you feel blocked or stymied? The Yoga Sutra-s can show you why, and what to do about it. Are you finding yourself in subtle inner spaces, and want to be sure you’re on the right track? The Yoga Sutra-s can give you clues. Do you want to manifest more abundance or love? The sutras offer you methods as ancient as the Vedas and as modern as New Thought. No matter how many times you read this text, its practical wisdom meets you where you are, and guides you to where you need to go. The Yoga Sutra-s can inspire your first steps along the path, but it also guides you through the subtlest stages of the meditative journey. Reading it thoroughly can take a lifetime!
In this six-week telecourse, we will explore key sutras through a non-dual tantric lens, to draw the most powerful and usable insights from the text. And we’ll offer an unfolding protocol for your practice that will help you go deeper and expand your ability to go inside and stay present.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Starting with an overview of the text, we’ll inspire ourselves by exploring the basic powers that yogic concentration unfolds for us.
- We’ll look at the essentials for overcoming ignorance and its side-effects.
- We’ll discover the extraordinary techniques of yogic contemplation (samyama), that can not only enhance insight and perception but naturally unfold hidden superpowers.
- We’ll explore the ethical teachings and how to live them without limiting your ability to respond creatively to life.
- We’ll dive deep into the gold-star practices—the concentration techniques that have influenced every practitioner of yoga and Buddhism.
- We’ll help you recognize and work with obstacles, and inquire deeply into your own ethical blindspots.
- We’ll show you how to know the signs that your consciousness is being transformed, and how to apply seemingly esoteric truths to your day to day experience. The Yoga Sutras tell us everything we need to know about the interior life.